Wondering how much satellite internet costs?
The short answer is that it depends on your needs.
Read on to find out more.
If you want to know how to get broadband without a phone line, then there are two main options available in Africa. You either rely on the patchy mobile communications network or opt for a satellite connection instead. Is one better than the other? The short answer is that it depends on your needs. Mobile data is convenient if you move around a lot but there are drawbacks, such as:
- There may be no service where you are even if you switch network suppliers.
- You will often find that speed is limited and large downloads take forever.
- Your mobile data might be capped so you can't always do what you want online at the end of the month.
All of these factors will play a part in why you might not want to rely on mobile data communications. However, there is another major aspect of mobile data that you need to take into consideration. This is cost.
All too often, mobile data packages are sold on a month-by-month basis and have extremely high price tags. Some offer only so much data per month and then the costs start to ramp up. People who are on pay-as-you-go data rates will often spend much more than they need to. On the other hand, satellite internet costs much less than you might think. In other words, you could make a big saving on your satellite broadband costs by simply ditching your current mobile data package and shifting over to a new connection with Konnect.
Of course, you may ask yourself, is satellite internet safe? The answer to this question is an emphatic yes with all of the industry-standard encryption you should expect. Consequently, there is nothing to hold you back from making the switch, especially if you live in a place where broadband speeds are traditionally poor.
Satellite Internet Prices Compared to Other Connections
Satellite broadband costs about the same as a standard connection that is made through your local telephone exchange. Of course, a direct comparison with wired broadband is not always possible because:
- Some internet service providers hide their installation costs within their monthly fees.
- There can be hidden charges for things like international phone calls made over a phone line that is also serving as a fixed-line broadband connection.
- Some so-called special offers mean the headline price you pay is not what you'll end up forking out for once the initial offer ends. You may even be tied into a more expensive deal with penalty clauses for ending it early.
- Line rental fees may alter midway through your contract.
Overall, however, satellite internet pricing is more straightforward and compares favourably with even the best fibre-optic and telephone line broadband pricing. Compared to most mobile data packages, it is more favourable due to faster speeds, better connections and more generous data allowances on offer.
Read on to find out exactly how little satellite broadband costs.
A Breakdown of Konnect's Satellite Internet Prices
With no need for a line rental fee, Konnect's satellite internet costs are extremely attractive. There are numerous packages, designed for all households and their different demands and offer great deals on our equipment. Also our distribution partners will handle your professional installation. This way, you don't need to know what equipment is required to connect to satellite internet and you can simply leave it to the experts.
Here are Konnect's product ranges and pricing guides in summary:
- Simply: these flexible packages give you a choice of download speeds from 5 Mbps to 50 Mbps (and even 100 Mbps where speed options are available) and monthly data allowances from 5 GB to 250 GB and start from around $20/month*
- Unlimited: starting from around $50/month* enjoy unlimited data day and night with download speeds from 512 kbps to 10 Mbps
- Power: enjoy high download speeds up to 50 Mbps (and even 100 Mbps with our speed option) plus uncapped data (available in Côte d’Ivoire and Tanzania)
* Prices vary from country to country – please consult the applicable tariffs or call our customer services for more detail.
As you can see, that's a lot of speed for the money. Remember that this reliable service needs no phone line or local data mast nearby. It will work virtually anywhere in Africa with direct communication to a satellite that is in orbit over the Earth.
What Other Factors Might Push Your Satellite Internet Cost Up?
Data usage is not capped with Konnect. This way, you won't get any nasty surprises with unexpected fees to pay because you have exceeded them. Your priority data allowance depends on the package you have chosen. If you exceed this, then the speed of your connection may be limited until the end of the month if you’ve chosen a Simply package but you can renew early in this case - and you will always enjoy a broadband connection without having to pay for more. Data used between 1 am and 6 am does not count towards any allowance you may have, either!
In fact, the only way your satellite internet costs might go up is because you are so impressed that you want to upgrade to a higher package, so subscribe now for a great connection!